Home » News » Mobile-PDA » Hollywood Blockbuster, Downloadable BSkyB Content, Podcasts, Games with MOTO Z8
Motorola announced the debut of the MOTO Z8, featuring crystal clear video capture and playback at 30 frames per second and up to 32GB of expandable memory(1). The MOTO Z8, the world's first kick slider, is expected to hit shelves in Europe and Asia in June. It will enable entertainment fans to get mobile TV(2), video and music all on one device. As an added bonus, a 512MB memory card will be included in-box pre-loaded with a full-length feature film -- "The Bourne Identity" -- from Universal Pictures.
"Today's media hungry consumers have a hectic, time-pressured, mobile life and they want to be able to access their content whenever and wherever they are," said Jeremy Dale, corporate vice president, Mobile Devices Global Marketing, Motorola. "We believe the Z8 is the best multimedia platform on a phone today that allows consumers to listen to music, download video, create blogs and store memories simply and seamlessly."
Eddie Cunningham, president of Universal Pictures International Entertainment (UPIE), added: "It is incredibly exciting that the launch of the Z8 provides film fans with an opportunity to watch world-class movies like 'The Bourne Identity' in the best quality ever possible on a mobile handset."
The Z8 delivers best-in-class design, functionality and hard-to-match experiences with:
- Faster than ... -- Provides mobile broadband(2) at 3.6Mbps HSDPA, among the fastest over-the-air download speeds today, for 10-second song downloads using a combination of OMAP2420 and ARM 11 processors that also provide a powerful platform for multi-tasking. For example, consumers can surf the Web while listening to music, without missing a beat.
- Perfect fit -- The unique ergonomic slider design glides open and kicks out for a perfect fit-to-face profile.
- Rock on -- Dedicated keys access music in one touch, storage for approximately 1,000 songs(3) and stereo Bluetooth(R) wireless technology optimize the device for mobile music. The MOTOROKR S9 stereo headphones, bundled with the Z8, provide wire-free enjoyment with A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth stereo profiles(4).
- Entertainment powerhouse -- With approximately 80MB of free internal user memory(5) and optional expandable memory up to 32GB with high density microSD memory cards(1). On today's 4GB microSD entertainment lovers can store approximately 12 full-length motion pictures(6) or 70 hours of music(3).
- Watch this -- At 30 frames per second, the large QVGA 16 million color TFT display optimizes the viewing experience in both portrait and landscape mode. The beautiful screen also helps enhance Internet browsing and game play.
- Life recorded -- Catch a moment on the fly with an 8x zoom camera and lumi LED light or record and watch memories with video record and playback capabilities.
- My videos -- Intuitive UI allows one-click picture or video sharing with friends or easy uploading to chosen social networking Internet sites, such as Flickr, MySpace, YouTube.
- Act fast -- The well-designed user interface allows one-click access to phone functions.
According to Gartner, "Mobile TV will become a mainstream service in most developed markets by 2010, at which point it will have close to half a billion subscribers." ... "Expect TV services over cellular (services) to show revenue of just over $100 million in 2006, growing to $15 billion by 2010. Revenue from broadcast TV will grow from $200 million to $10.8 billion over the same period."(7)
Motorola brings experiences to life with alliances to make entertainment enjoyment even richer. The Z8 will include, in-box, a full-length film -- "The Bourne Identity" from Universal Pictures -- and pre-loaded third-party applications from BSkyB and Podcast.com, as well as content from CNN. In addition, high quality games from Electronic Arts' popular suite of titles will soon become available for download to more Motorola customers.
Z8 users will be able to access mobile content services from BSkyB directly from their handset, such as Sky's on-demand library of updating news,
entertainment and sports. Sky's 'Anytime' application provides an access point to a range of live mobile TV services that include over 30 TV
channels(2) and allows customers to use their mobile phone to program their Sky+ set-top boxes remotely to record programs and place bets through SkyBet.
In addition to BSkyB, a world of free content is open to consumers with the inclusion of the Podcast.com service, allowing consumers to download their favorite audio and video podcasts direct from the Internet automatically to their handset.
Motorola also announced that it will be extending its existing relationship with Electronic Arts to create a new category of immersive mobile