K3b was created to be a feature-rich and easy to handle CD burning application. It consists of basicly three parts:
1. The projects: Projects are created from the file menu and then filled with data to burn.
2. The Tools: The tools menu offers different tools like CD copy or DVD formatting.
3. Context sensitive media actions: When clicking on the Icon representing a CD/DVD drive K3b will present it's contents and allow some further action. This is for example the way to rip audio CDs.
Key features of "K3b"
* Creating data cds:
o Add files and folders to your data cd project via drag'n'drop.
o Remove files from your project, move files within your project.
o Create empty direcories within your project.
o Write data cds on-the-fly directly without an image file or with image file. It's also possible to just create the image file and write it to cd later.
o Rockridge and Joliet support.
o Rename files in your project.
o Let K3b rename all the mp3/ogg files you add to your project to a common format like "artist - title.mp3".
o For advanced users: support for nearly all the mkisofs options.
o Verifying the burned data.
o Support for multible El-Torito boot images.
o Multisession support
* Creating audio cds:
o Pluggable audio decoding. Plugins for WAV, MP3, FLAC, and Ogg Vorbis are included.
o CD-TEXT support. Will automagically be filled in from tags in audio files.
o Write audio cds on-the-fly without decoding audio files to wav before.
o Normalize volume levels before writing.
o Cut audio tracks at the beginning and the end.
* Creating Video CDs:
o VCD 1.1, 2.0, SVCD
o CD-i support (Version 4)
* Creating mixed-mode CDs:
o CD-Extra (CD-Plus, Enhanced Audio CD) support.
o All data and audio project features.
* Creating eMovix CDs
* CD Copy
o Copy single and multi session data CDs
o Copy Audio CDs
o Copy Enhanced Audio CDs (CD-Extra)
o Copy CD-Text
o Add CD-Text from cddb
o CD Cloning mode for perfect single session CD copies
* DVD burning:
o Support for DVD-R(W) and DVD+R(W)
o Creating data DVD projects
o Creating eMovix DVDs
o Formatting DVD-RWs and DVD+RWs
* CD Ripping:
o CDDB support via http, cddbp and local cddb directory.
o Sophisticated pattern system to automatically organize the ripped tracks in directories and name them according to album, title, artist, and track number.
o CD-TEXT reading. May be used instead of CDDB info.
o K3b stores CDDB info of the ripped tracks which will automatically be used as CD-TEXT when adding the ripped files to an audio project.
o Plugin system to allow encoding to virtually every audio format. Plugins to encode to Ogg Vorbis, Mp3, FLAC, and all formats supported by SoX included.
* DVD Ripping and DivX/XviD encoding
* Save/load projects.
* Blanking of CDR-Ws.
* Retrieving Table of contents and cdr information.
* Writing existing iso images to CD or DVD with optional verification of the written data.
* Writing cue/bin files created for CDRWIN
* DVD copy (no video transcoding yet)
* Enhanced CD device handling:
o Detection of max. writing and reading speed.
o Detection of Burnfree and Justlink support.
o Good media detection and optional automatic CD-RW and DVD-RW blanking
* KParts-Plugin ready.